Thursday, April 25, 2013

Clothes on the Floor - Confession


This morning I woke up to a text from a friend that I was going to get to spend some time with (one who has just recently had a new baby to round her family off at 6). We hadn't discussed the details the day before but she said she was coming my way because she wanted to get out of the house. So at 8:10 (Key was sleeping in and this momma didn't mind a few extra zzzs) she says she'd like to do breakfast...at 9:30! Ok, I'll jump in the shower and see you there. I did just that. Jumped in the shower got ready, got Keylee ready, and flew out the door. She had decided to leave all the kiddos at home with her hubby and take a few minutes to relax and have breakfast with me. We had a great time talking and laughing and doing things girls do. It wasn't a ton of time, a little over an hour we got to spend together but so full and a perfect start to this lovely day.

We parted ways and Key and I ran off to run a few errands that we needed to tend to. Once we got home and I got little bit settled down for a nap I made a potty stop. Why in the world am I telling you this? Because, as I looked around my bathroom I saw an unfamiliar site, some of my clothes in a pile on the floor. WHAT? Ok, so clothes on the floor happens at our house, but my husband and I are pretty tidy folks, so we do our best to scoop them up into the laundry basket as we exit the bathroom. But, this little pile of clothes meant a little more to me than one might think. To me it means growth. I know it sounds crazy but stick with me...

I maintain a pretty tidy house. Maybe not spotless or dust free but I try to keep junk put up and stuff in its rightful place. This, at times, has been something of an issue for me. I've never been able to just swing my door open to unexpected visitors very easily. If someone happens by and the house is a mess I tend to feel uncomfortable. As though a few pieces of clothing in the floor or an unmade bed might seal my fate as the worst housekeeper ever or give that person a bit too much insight into the possibility that I'm not always perfectly organized. Ironically, I've always wanted a home that people felt comfortable in, one that someone could just swing by unannounced and grab their own cup of sweet tea from the fridge.

Today, I feel like I am one step closer to opening myself up. That a few unorganized toys, clothes, or other misc around the house is just life and maybe we had too much fun today to clean up. That the next time someone stops in unannounced I might just smile, let them in, ignore the dirty dishes or the sticky floor; sit and chat and enjoy their visit. No, I don't intend to leave my dirty clothes lying in the floor as a tool toward growth, but I do intend to relinquish the thought that that my tidy little world is worth being closed off.

So, if you are around and would like to stop in, please do. Maybe you can help me grow a little more.
Daspri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends