Thursday, August 23, 2012

DiY ~ Roundtable Refinish Round-Up

Refinishing furniture can be quick and easy or very difficult and complicated. For this refinish I went with the quick and easy version. This table used to sit in the corner of the living room covered up down the middle because the finish was coming off, but when we rearranged the playroom I made a spot for it there.
Because it was going in the playroom I used the same black Zero VOC paint as I did when painting furniture for the nursery before Keylee came along (I’ll share that adventure later). It is Olympic from Lowes but you can get a similar version and pretty much any paint store.
I lugged the table out to the carport with the help of the hubbs and started sanding. I didn’t sand it completely but gave it a good sanding with fine sandpaper. I used 220 grit. And if you find your sandpaper hard to hold onto grab yourself a scrap of wood and staple a trimmed piece so it to create a sandpaper block (a nice tip from the hubbs)!
[TIP: Always sand the direction of the wood grain, if you don’t you will end up with spots that look like they are damaged when you repaint.]

 
 
 
Next, clean off the table wiping off all the sanding dust. I just used a damp cloth. Make sure the surface is clean and dry before moving forward. Once the table is ready give it a coat of paint. I used a paint brush but you can use a small roller if you prefer.
Wait for that to dry before applying the second coat. Go with the directions on the paint can but of course if it is a million degrees outside you can lower the time in between slightly. You’ll notice that the wood grain still shows through the paint which gives it a nice look.

After the paint is all good and dry take your sandpaper or other sanding utensil (I like to use a cardboard fingernail file. They are small and easier to handle and you can get a pack of 4 or 5 at the dollar store for a buck if you don’t already have some around the house like me.) Then sand away at the areas you would like to give some character.




This is where I stopped because I wanted to maintain more of a matte look. But if you would like you can add a top coat like Polycrylic to help seal it. They say you can get matte polycrylic but in my experience is still has a bit of shine to it.

 
 
 
 
Finished! Now that wasn’t so bad was it? Here it is as a coloring table in the corner of the sunroom/playroom. We love it!
 
Enjoy and let me know how your refinish goes,
Daspri

 

1 comment:

Sunshine from our friends