Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars & Colorful DiY Hair Pins!

Hey friends! Welcome to Wellness Wednesday, where I share with you some things that help my body, mind and heart stay well. I learn something new everyday and am still figuring many things out myself. As I learn, I will share...the successes and the flops!

Today, I want to share a yummy granola bar recipe with you.
We recently went on a little mini family vacation and I was on the search for some healthy snacks to take along for my family and myself. My kids are growing and eat often and I wanted to be sure we had some healthy options mixed in with the not-so-healthy road trip snacks.  I also wanted to make sure I had some things that I could eat.  One of the biggest tips I can give about eating this way (whole foods-no wheat, dairy or sugar) is being prepared, especially when away from home.  I had no idea where we would be eating or what was even available so I needed to make sure that I brought food along with me that I could eat and enjoy.
Some might say, "oh, you're on vacation, it's okay!" And sure a little something here or there would not have killed me by any means. However, I have come to this conclusion: if I want to feel the way I want to feel and look the way I want to look, then I must stay on track...period.  I am SO enjoying not being sick all of the time and feeling good.  I am enjoying losing the extra weight that I have been carrying around since pregnant with my little girl (4 yrs ago!)....I don't plan on turning back now.
If  you're struggling with similar things, today is the day to do something about it. There is nothing special about me. You can do this. You just have to want it bad enough and set your mind to making it happen. It will take discipline, hard work and preparation, but all of these things will become apart of your daily routine and you will quickly begin to enjoy them.

Alrighty then, let's make some granola bars!
I took a basic recipe I found and added a few things, took away a few things and made my own!

Good for you Granola Bars

2 cups oats
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2 heaping tablespoons raw coconut oil
1/3 cup millet
1 heaping tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tablespoon chia seed
1/3 cup organic raisins

Preheat oven to 350. I used coconut oil and wiped down my 9x13 inch pan.
Mix everything in a bowl and then press it down into your pan. Try to make it even thickness all over.
Bake for about 18 min or until golden brown.
Cool for about 5-10 min.
Then cut into rectangles and let cool completely before serving them.
Store them in an airtight container.
*makes roughly 12-18 bars, depending on what size you cut them.

I made this same recipe for a second batch and added a bit of chocolate pieces for a fun treat for the kiddos.
You can pretty much add whatever you'd like! Yummy and healthy!
 Ignore the half eaten one on top. I know it did not make for a pretty photo but man did it make me happy!
_____________________________________________________________________________
Okay, time to create something pretty! This is such a big part of my wellness too! :)
I found this fun little project on another blog, through the lovely pinterest.
This was super easy and so fun! Just what I needed!
Grab your favorite nail polish colors, some wax paper and some bobby pins.
Hold the tip of the bobby pin and paint away! Just one smooth stroke should do it. No worries if some drips to the underneath....you can remove that later by simply scraping it with your fingernail while it is still tacky.
Paint, lay carefully on their side on the wax paper and then give them all a second coat.
Now, go make something else, fold some clothes, etc.
I added a coat of clear glitter polish to some of mine for fun and then added a final coat of clear polish to all of them.
Aren't they pretty!!! I love them!
Slide those lovelies on some card stock and surprise a friend!
And then slide them in your hair for some added color and fun! Don't tuck those bobby pins away this time. Grab a handful of them, line them up, and let them shine!

Have a beautiful day friends!
-Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends