Wednesday, November 21, 2012

DiY Super Girl Costume

So, we recently got to celebrate one of my adorable niece's 2nd birthday. You can see her incredibly cute party here.
My Baby Girl really wanted to get her cousin some dress up clothes. However, I thought she would probably get a lot of the typical girly dress up things from other people so I didn't want to do that. Then, it hit me and I knew what I had to do! I mean, I live in a house full of boys and so it is only natural that my thoughts went there.
Let the super hero costume creating begin!
And here it is! I LOVE LOVE how it turned out!
And even better, this is a no-sew project, making it super easy as well!

Here is what you will need:
-1 yard of fleece (you might need more if you are making it for an older/bigger child)
-3 sheets of adhesive backed felt
-wide band of elastic (for the belt)
-thin, flat elastic (for the mask)
-adhesive backed velcro
-iron-on accessories
-stitch witchery

Okay, so this project really doesn't need a lot of instructions. So, I will keep it simple.
CAPE

First, I laid out my fleece and cut out my cape. Sorry, I don't have a template. I just cut it freehand.  And I did have to go back and do a bit of trimming to get it straight, until my husband finally told me to stop because it looked good! HA! I can't help myself and my need for things to be perfect sometimes! So thankful for the balance he provides.
Back to the cape....the beauty behind using fleece for this is that after you cut it out, it does not require any finishing to the edges. No fraying also means no sewing necessary! And it is cold outside and fleece is warm!

Next, I cut out my heart from the felt and arranged all of the pieces. I cut some strips of stitch witchery, grabbed a moist towel and went to ironing!
Cape done!

MASK
My friend Kim already had some templates for masks that I borrowed, so that is what I used. However, here is one that you can download and print. It is not exactly like mine, but still super fun.
First, trace your mask onto both pieces of felt. I used two different colors to tie the whole costume together and make the mask reversible.
Next, cut them out.
Then, peel the backing off both and stick them together. Now you can trim around the edges and get rid of any uneven places or overlapping. You will also want to cut out the holes for the eyes now too.
Now, you can take your rotary tool and punch a small hole in the top corner of each side and simply run your elastic through and knot it (one knot on each side).
And last, I added some iron-on stars to each top corner.

BELT AND WRIST CUFFS
BELT
First, get your waist measurement for the little one you are making this for. This will determine how much wide band elastic you will need.
I cut out a super hero symbol from my red felt and then I applied the iron-on star.
Next, I cut some more strips of stitch witchery and applied the whole piece to the middle of the elastic band.
And last, I cut two small pieces of the velcro. The velcro I used has an adhesive back but to make sure that this was going to be good and sturdy for little people play, I went ahead and added stitch witchery and ironed this too.

WRIST CUFFS
Cut four strips, the same width and length from the adhesive backed felt.
Then, peel off the backing and stick them together, making two cuffs.
Next, iron on your accessories.
And last, I used the same method with the velcro as I did on the waist band.

Is she not the cutest little Super Girl you've ever seen?!
Don't mind the upside down belt....someone put it on that way. Ahem. ;)
Also, the shadows in the pics. I was more focused on getting these pics fast before our Super Girl decided to take off all of her gear!
And just when you thought this Super Girl wasn't intimidating.....
...take that bad guys! (or aunt with a camera in my face!)

We love to hear from you, so please share if you make some super hero costumes or accessories of your own!
-Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends